Health spotlight: detox and rejuvenate
Our health editor and qualified nutritionist highlights how to gently detox and rejuvenate the body through simple diet and lifestyle habits
Want to learn how to detox through your diet? In our spotlight series, health editor and registered nutritionist Tracey Raye highlights top health trends to bring you simple, nourishing ways to include more of the good stuff in your daily life. Looking for more nourishing inspiration? Check out our easy smoothie recipes, then explore our best healthy veg collection.
How to detox your body
Let's start by making one thing clear – your body is well equipped when it comes to removing general toxins and waste from your system. What's actually happening when we 'detox' is that we're supporting and rejuvenating our body's natural detox system.
Things that help to rejuvenate your detox system:
- Getting enough quality sleep – aim for between 7-9 hours per night.
- Reduce consumption of alcohol and highly processed foods.
- Hydrate – water plays a crucial role in the body's ability to detox.
- Move your body – whether gentle or intense, daily movement is very beneficial.
- Eat nourishing foods, high in antioxidants and prebiotics.
Detox and rejuvenate through your diet
In my mind, the word ‘detox’ doesn’t so much evoke thoughts of juice cleanses as much as it suggests some gentle TLC in the form of adding in the good stuff and giving my body a break from the things that I know it doesn’t agree with – yes sugar, I’m thinking of you.
Any dish that puts the focus on protein, veggies and healthy fats leaves me feeling light and energised. I’ve been loving this halloumi, kale and tahini salad lately which is packed full of antioxidants and prebiotics. I’ll often swap out the halloumi for firm tofu to make this dish vegan friendly.
Three more ways to support detox through your diet:
- Stay hydrated. If you're not a fan of water, try this turmeric chai tea.
- Get a morning dose of prebiotics with this berry and nut butter porridge.
- Try our winter stir-fry for a cosy way to fill up on antioxidants.
Detox and rejuvenate through your lifestyle
While nourishing foods can cleanse and rejuvenate on the inside, massage is a great way to detox from the outside. Massage can stimulate and support your body’s circulation, with certain types even aiding lymphatic drainage – a system involved in immune health and optimal function. As a scented candle lover, this Neom skin treatment candle gives me the best of both worlds with rich scents of lavender, jasmine and rosewood, along with silky, hydrating cocoa butter.
Other detox tools we love:
- Bamboo body brush, £10, The Body Shop
- Epsom salt bath (100% magnesium sulphate), £5.50, Holland & Barrett
- Matsu mellow roasted luxury matcha green tea, £18/20g, olive shop
Is detoxing something you were aware of? What's your favourite nourishing recipe that makes you feel great? Comment below and share your experience...
Tracey Raye is the health editor for olive and BBC Good Food. Tracey, MSc, is a registered nutritionist, holding a master’s degree in personalised nutrition. She is passionate about harnessing the power of all things health and wellbeing – in a way that enhances, rather than limits our lives. She covers our nourishing recipes and collections, oversees our health strategy and stays adrift of the latest health and lifestyle trends – in order to bring you the tools and inspiration you need to find what health means for you.